Over two thousand years ago during the Hasmonean dynasty (2nd century B. C. E.), the Essenes settled in the ancient city of Qumran in the Judean desert by the Dead Sea. They stored the holy scrolls in cylinder shaped canisters. These scrolls were found years later by a Bedoin shepherd in 1946, prompting the archaeological excavations of the Qumran caves.
The top and bottom of the mezuzah cylinder, is made of bronze with patina finish, and is reminiscent of the ancient jars in which the scrolls were found. This beautiful mezuzah is influenced by the cylindrical shape of the Qumran scrolls (Dead Sea scrolls). The patina tops and bottoms are representative of the tops of the jars that held the original scrolls. The Jerusalem stone is etched with the words from the parchment contained inside the jar.
Michael Kupietzky was born in the United States, but now resides in Israel with his family. Each of his creations follows the Bauhaus philosophy that “form follows function”.
This Mezuzah fits a 4.75″ (12cm) scroll. Each Mezuzah is signed by the artist.